I love school but am so excited to have time off in between classes to work on some non-school projects and other fun stuff. But right now, I’m kind of all over the place!
I recently wrote a piece about my definition of success and submitted it to MotherHustle. My idea of success is pretty loose – it’s basically keep trying, keep learning, and don’t give up. But it really got me thinking about what I want to DO.
So, here’s what I’d like to do this summer, both in terms of writing goals and other goals.
1. I’m trying to get better about regularly updating this blog and my family travel blog.
2. I’d like to finish the novel I just started writing. Number 6! I’m writing a little bit every day, trying to get in about 1,000 words every day if I can. I’d like to bump it up to 1,300 or so in July. My goal is to finish by the end of July. My own little #NaNoWriMo… or #NaNoWri-TWO-Mo.
3. I’d like to finish all the books I am currently reading. And not start any new ones unless I finish all of those. Or I have to read them for school. That means I need to finish:
At Home In The World by Joyce Maynard (I did just read/finish Domestic Affairs!)
All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
Talking as Fast As I Can by Lauren Graham
With Or Without You by Domenica Ruta
I’m sure once the fall semester starts, I’ll have lots of reading to keep me busy again. I couldn’t help it; I got so excited at the idea of being able to read for fun that I dove right in to ALL. THE. BOOKS. 3 of the 4 are memoirs because that’s what I’m considering doing for my thesis. Plus I’d been meaning to read the Anthony Doerr book and it was on an early syllabus for one of my spring classes so I grabbed it and never had the chance to read it until now.
3 1/2. I will celebrate finishing novel #6 and reading my 4 books by binge-watching Season 6 of Orange is the New Black when it comes out. Until then, I will try to stay away from Netflix and any other on demand TV. (I’m all caught up on Jane the Virgin, Crazy Ex Girlfriend, 13 Reasons Why, and I don’t think I watch anything else, so I don’t really have anything to tempt me!)
4. When I finish writing novel #6, I plan on revisiting and revising novel #5. I’ve gotten some great feedback on it and see what I really need to work on. (Which is also totally making me look at #6 a little more critically as I go.)
5. And on top of all that, I’m trying to balance out all the sitting on my butt (reading and writing) with walking a little bit every day in the hopes of losing a few stupid, stubborn pounds. I finally lost all the baby weight but I wouldn’t mind losing some of the “happily married” extra pounds that I’ve tacked on over the years.
This means getting up SUPER early to go walk before it gets crazy hot. I’m talking 6 o’clock. I have a kid that sleeps until 8, so (1) I consider myself blessed, and (2) Yes, to me, 6 is SUPER early!!! My husband gets up first and goes for HIS walk (which means he gets up even earlier!) then when he gets back, I go for MY walk (husband is home with the kid) and then I usually get back in time to pound out 500-700 words before I have to make pancakes for the kid.
So, there you have it. The 5 things I hope to accomplish sometime this summer.
I better get busy!